Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Picture Perfect Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream

I think I’m in love.

No, not with my boyfriend, though he’s ok too. But I can already tell that this is going to be a little more serious than that relationship.



We’ve flirted for years, had the occasional one night stand and no matter what has happened over the years, in the end I have always gone back.

I am ready to take the plunge and announce that I LOVE this ice cream.

At the end of the summer, I finally gave in and bought myself an ice cream maker from the clearance isle. I neglected it for the past few months as I foolishly waited for the weather to turn chilly.




So, instead of continuing to bide my time until the weather changes, I decided to change my recipes to fit the weather. What a fabulously tasty decision!

This ice cream is creamy, rich and tastes just like a pumpkin pie. I don’t think I will ever eat anything but homemade ice cream again. Hell, I may never eat anything but this ice cream ever again.


Picture Perfect Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
2 cups heavy cream
6 egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
2/3 cup puréed cooked pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Heat 1 1/3 cups of the cream in the top of a double boiler above gently boiling water over medium-high heat.

Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, corn syrup, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a metal mixing bowl. Gradually pour 1/4 cup of the hot cream into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, then whisk egg mixture into remaining cream in top of double boiler. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture is thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 15 minutes.

Pour custard through a sieve set over a clean bowl. Add pumpkin, vanilla, and remaining 2/3 cup of cream, and whisk until blended. Refrigerate custard until cold, about 4 hours. Transfer custard to an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions.

(source Saveur magazine)

1 comment:

Ingrid_3Bs said...

It's only chilly here so, ice cream is totally doable! This is one of those pluses to living in the sunshine state!
~ingrid

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...