Monday, December 15, 2008

Chocolate Crinkles

Chocolate Crinkles

I saw a picture of these cookies in a magazine last year and immediately thought, "Why don't I ever make something that looks as cute as those do."

So I cut out the recipe and planned to bake this recipe the next time I made a large batch of cookies.

Yummy chocolate!

So, over the past few weeks as I have been planning out my holiday baking, this recipe was always at the forefront of my mind. On Saturday, I readied my ingredients and pre-heated the oven. I flipped through my recipe collection only to find...well, nothing actually.

I had been thinking about this recipe for months. I had been planning on making this recipe for weeks. And I had never even bothered to look for it!

It looks just like a donut!

ARGH!

Fortunately, when one finds oneself in these kinds of situations, the internet is a lovely tool. I quickly found a substitute recipe that turned out to be just as delightful as I had been hoping.

I finally feel like I managed to make cookies that look as wonderful as they taste!

Lined up like little soldiers

Chocolate Crinkles

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk
1 cup powdered sugar for rolling
1 cup granulated sugar for rolling

Put the chocolate in a glass bowl and put it in the microwave. Warm for 30 seconds at a time until chocolate has melted. Set bowl aside to cool (but not harden!) until needed.

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Using a mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar together until they are well combined. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy, around 2 minutes. Add the cooled melted chocolate and mix to combine well. With mixer on low speed, alternate adding dry ingredients and milk until just combined, about a third at a time.

The dough should be pretty thick and heavy now. Leave it in the bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and pop it into the refrigerator overnight preferably, but at least several hours until firm.

When ready to back, preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the dough when it is properly chilled and using either a tablespoon cookie scoop or just a normal tablespoon shovel up heaping tablespoons of dough and then roll them in your hands to create a ball (about ¾ the size of a ping pong ball). Drop it into a bowl of granulated sugar and roll it around to cover it then transfer it to a bowl of powdered sugar and roll it around again. If the dough becomes too warm, recover and return to the refrigerator for 20 minutes, or until chilled.

Once the dough balls have been rolled in the sugars, place them on a parchment or a silpat lined baking sheet, spacing each cookie about 1.5 inches apart. Bake for about 11-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them rest for about 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool.

Enjoy!

(source What Geeks Eat)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...