Friday, October 17, 2008

Whisky Drenched Carrots

I bought my very first cast iron skillet a year ago and I was so excited. During my recipe scanning I had often encountered delicious sounding dishes that began cooking on the stove and finished it in the oven. So when the opportunity arose last year, I delightedly decided to purchase a skillet.



And I just have one thing to say: Man do these things rust easily. But that is neither here nor there.

On several occasions I had relished in the experience of cooking with my new skillet (watch out, the handle gets hot!), I had not yet used the functionality for which I had purchased it; cooking in the oven. So when I stumbled across a recipe for skillet cornbread, I knew I had to make it. Immediately.

And thus I proceeded to plan that evening’s meal around the cornbread. I easily decided on a pot roast as the protein portion of the dinner, because its almost (but not quite) cool in Sacramento at this time of year and I felt that it was time to break out the winter recipes.



Because my BF is such a good sport and eats anything that I cook up (except for that horrible meal that immediately found its way into the trash), I try to incorporate dishes that appeal to his personal tastes. So when I stumbled upon this recipe for Whisky Glazed Carrots I was stoked. While not something that I ever would have picked out for myself, it included his favorite veggie and his favorite drink, so I figured I couldn’t go wrong with the side dish.

To my surprise, the corn bread was ok, the roast was ok, and the carrots were spectacular. Their taste was explosive (Literally. I accidentally set them on fire.), and they easily outshined the rest of the meal, even the joy I got from baking in my skillet.

Whisky Drenched Carrots
2 - 3 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into thick circles
1 stick (1/2 cup…1/4 lb) butter
1/2 cup Jack Daniels or other whiskey
1/2 to 3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper


Directions:
Melt 1 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over high heat.

When skillet is extremly hot, add carrots in two batches, cooking for 60 to 90 seconds each batch or until carrots have been lightly browned.

Remove from carrots from the skillet. Pour in whiskey and allow to cook off for 30 seconds.

Reduce heat to medium and add remaining butter. When butter melts, sprinkle brown sugar over the top. Stir together, then add carrots to the skillet.

Cover, and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Remove lid and add salt and pepper. Continue cooking until carrots are done and glaze has thickened, about 5 more minutes. Pour onto a platter and serve immediately. Sprinkle with chopped chives if desired.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...