Thursday, October 16, 2008

Souffled Macaroni and Cheese


I found this recipe in a recent issues of Gourmet magazine and I instantly knew that I HAD to try it. I made some substitutions to the ingredients based on what I had on hand, and I could not have been happier with the result.

I was nervous about folding in the egg whites, as I have never made any kind of souffle before and I didn't want to over mix the egg whites. I folded them in gently until they were about three quarters incorporated, with only random clumps of the whites remaining.

I was worried that I had under mixed because of my nerves, but the finished product came out light, fluffy and scrumptious. It was delicious straight out of the oven and I was inordinately pleased with the result. This recipe is definitely a keeper.


Souffled Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. scalded milk
2 T heavy cream
1 c. soft bread crumbs (about 3 slices of bread)
1 1/2 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 c. diced pepper jack cheese
1 c. cooked macaroni
3 large eggs, separated
1 T chopped parsley
1 T grated onion
3/4 tsp salt
3 T melted butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°. Place bread slices in food processor and pulse until the slices become a fine crumb.

Pour milk and cream over bread crumbs in a medium bowl, add cheeses. Cover and let stand until cheese melts. Add in macaroni.

Combine and add beaten egg yolks, parsley, onion, salt and melted butter. Gently mix.

Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into mixture until just combined.

Pour into a buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Bake until puffed and golden, about 35 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...