Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Peanut Dilemma

After being completely overwhelmed by my recent addiction to food blogs, I have decided that for better or for worse, I would start my own. The straw that broke this camel’s back was the discovery of Tuesdays with Dorie.

I had seen references to this group on several different websites, but I have a short attention span, and I figured that Dorie was the blogger and she liked Tuesdays. Wrong and wrong.

Turns out Tuesdays with Dorie is an online baking group that chooses and makes one recipe a week out of Dorie Greenspan's book Baking: From My Home to Yours.

The first recipe that have the opportunity to bake along with is Carmel-Peanut Topped Brownie Cake. Right off the bat I had food a dilemma.

I don’t like peanuts.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE peanut butter (creamy, not crunchy), it’s just the raw peanuts that I can’t stand. I have never understood people who go to baseball games, get a bag a of peanuts, and munch away as the shells pileup around their feet. The majority of the time I am wearing flip flops and the sensation of slippery shells underfoot is just unpleasant. In fact, I recently went to a BBQ restaurant in my neighborhood where they hand out peanuts, as opposed to the traditional bread, as an appetizer. They even encourage you to throw the shells on the ground. I watched the patrons toss their peanut shells around willy-nilly while a lone waitress futilely swept up the joint. Huh?? But I digress.

Upon seeing the recipe I lost some of my enthusiasm. Really? A cake topped with peanuts? My mind raced with possibly peanut substitutions. Crushed oreos? Pecans? Leaving the topping as plain caramel?

But none of those options seemed to embody the reasons that I chose to participate in this group. I want to become a better baker and cook. I want to try recipes that are outside of my comfort zone.

So I decided to be a sport and follow the recipe as written.

Besides, I'm pretty sure I can pawn-off any dessert on my coworkers. With or without nuts.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...