Summers in Sacramento are hot. Ridiculously it’s-110-degrees-and-I-can-feel-my-face-melting-in-the-sun hot. Because of the sweltering heat, I am always on the look out for refreshing beverages that are tasty without being overly sweet and cloying. This blackberry limeade not only fits the bill perfectly, but is a wonderfully rich shade of purple to boot.
One of my absolute favorite things to buy at my local farmer’s market is luscious blackberries that are as big as my thumb, and I will definitely be turning many more of them into this delightful drink in the future. The most difficult part about this recipe is not eating all of the blackberries prior to making the drinks!
• Makes 8 servings
• 6 cups water, divided
• 3 cups fresh blackberries
• 1 cup sugar
• 2/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 5-6 limes)
• 8 thin lime slices
• Fresh blackberries (optional)
1. Place 1 cup water and 3 cups blackberries in a blender; process until smooth. Press blackberry puree through a sieve into a large pitcher and discard seeds and skins.
2. Add remaining 5 cups water, sugar, and juice to pitcher; stir until sugar dissolves.
3. Place 1 lime slice and a few blackberries, if desired, into each of 8 glasses; pour about 1 cup limeade over each serving.